Who we are
Oakland Innovation, a division of Science Group plc, work with some of the best-known global corporations, with a particular strength in medical, food and beverage and consumer product markets. We help R&D and business development teams to identify, define and deliver opportunities that offer competitive advantage within their business. Our approach involves combining our internal expertise in science and technology with leveraging of insights drawn from experts around the world.
Oakland Innovation helps clients to find opportunities to win competitive advantage by utilising science and technology for product, process and business innovation. It does this by combining the in-house knowledge of its team of scientists and technologists, with expertise and opinion drawn from key opinion leaders, practitioners and commentators from around the world.
Oakland is seeking an experienced lead consultant to work across a portfolio of clients within consumer markets. The role has three areas of responsibility:
1. Manage and grow our business with a portfolio of Strategic Accounts
2. Instigate and initiate relationships with new business accounts
3. Provide consulting inputs into selected higher-value projects
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients, both in Europe and North America. You should expect to make around 6 US trips a year in addition to routine short trips to Europe. Please note that the Oakland Innovation business is split between Science Group’s Harston, Cambridge and Epsom R&D Centre locations. There is the possibility of being based in either office with regular travel to other Group sites.
• Lead responsibility for maintaining and growing the business relationship with selected Strategic Accounts; this will encompass both telephone and field work with routine visits to clients in order sustain key relationships and to increase customer penetration
• Focus on new business creation activities, introducing the company’s services, presenting portfolio reviews, leveraging existing and new contacts to identify new project opportunities, discussing and responding to new project briefs.
• Listen to the needs of the customer and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with other Oakland Consultants). Though not directly involved in all projects contracted by these clients, the individual in the role will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and as and when appropriate participate in key interim and final delivery meetings and post-project reviews.
• Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
• Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Science Group Marketing team
• Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won they will then nurture these new account to secure and grow future business streams.
• Assist in strengthening the relationship with strategic and new business accounts. The role will have a 40% billable hours target. This will focus on higher-value more strategic types of project-work.
Experience & Qualifications
We prefer candidates to have either an MSc or PhD in a technical or science discipline, but not essential. The ideal candidate will have
• Substantive business and/or technology consulting experience
• Relevant industry/technology background/experience, e.g., have worked in a technical and/or business development capacity for a consultancy and/or blue chip company in either medical or consumer, or food industry sectors
• Experience of business development in a technology and/or business consulting environment;
• A track record of leading and closing sales to deliver significant consulting revenue streams
• A strong personal, organizational, and work ethic;
• Skills to both hunt for new business opportunities and foster relationships with existing clients;
• Have a confident, tenacious, robust personality, be able to build relationships internally and be a team player.
We are committed to career development and make a focussed effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package