Who we are
Oakland Innovation, a division of Science Group plc, work with many of the best-known global corporations, with a strength in medical, industrial, food and beverage and consumer-product markets. We serve clients in R&D and Marketing Leadership roles by identifying, exploring and defining technology-enabled opportunities that deliver competitive advantage. Our approach combines our expertise in science, technology and business with data, opinion and insights drawn from experts around the world. Clients value the depth of our technical insight and the attention we pay to our partnership with them.
Oakland is seeking an experienced Principal Consultant to lead the growth of its Technology Strategy practice. It will involve leveraging existing client relationships across a portfolio of blue-chip clients within consumer and industrial markets and also targeting and winning new business from target accounts The role has three areas of responsibility:
1. Manage and grow our technology strategy business across a portfolio of Strategic Accounts
2. Instigate and initiate relationships with New Business Accounts
3. Provide intellectual/consulting leadership in support of the design and execution of our portfolio of technology strategy service offerings
As a Practice leader you will have a leadership role and have opportunities to develop the company and staff, both within Oakland Innovation and in the wider Science Group.
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients, both in Europe and North America. You should expect to make around 6 US trips a year in addition to routine short trips to Europe. The Oakland Innovation division is based on two sites in Cambridge and Epsom. There is the possibility of being based in either office with regular travel to other Group sites (12 in total).
• Lead the promotion of our technology strategy services to new and existing contacts within our Strategic Accounts; this will involve working in conjunction with ‘Account Directors’ responsible for the customers and will require both telephone and field work with routine visits to clients in order heighten our profile as a provider of these services, sustaining key relationships and increasing account penetration
• Uncover and explore client challenges and needs, present insights, leverage existing and new contacts to identify project opportunities, discuss and respond to new project briefs.
• Listen to the needs of the customer and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with other Oakland Consultants). Though not directly involved in all projects contracted by these clients, the individual in the role will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and as appropriate participate in key interim and final delivery meetings.
New Business Accounts
• Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
• Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Science Group Marketing team
• Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won they will then nurture these new account to secure and grow future business streams.
• The role will also demand that you participate in the solving of our client’s toughest innovation challenges. You will provide through leadership, program direction and delivery for these projects.
• The role will have a 30% billable hours target.
Experience & Qualifications
As ‘practice’ leader candidates should be able to demonstrate a strong commercial mindset and be able to evidence their capacity to drive growth in their sphere of business experience. The ideal candidate will have
• A degree in a science-related or engineering subject. Masters, MBA or higher qualification is preferred but not essential for this role
• Exciting and relevant business and/or technology consulting experience
• Successfully sold consulting services to senior executives in large corporations (either as an internal specialist or as and external service provider)
• A track record of leading and closing sales to deliver significant consulting revenue streams
• A robust understanding of technology strategy tools and methods and familiarity with their use and application in the business environment.
• Market experience in either consumer or industrial markets
• An analytic mindset
• Strong written and presentation skills
• Confidence to convey data-supported opinion
• A strong personal, organisational, and work ethic;
• Skills to both hunt for new business opportunities and deepen relationships with existing clients;
• Have a confident, tenacious, robust personality, be able to build relationships internally and be a team player.
We are committed to career development and make a focussed effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow senior individuals to thrive. Science Group offers a broad, fast changing and high calibre setting to realise personal growth. We seek out and invest behind our talented seniors.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.