Who we are
Oakland Innovation, a division of Science Group plc, work with many of the best-known global corporations, with a strength in medical, industrial, food and beverage and consumer-product markets. We serve clients in R&D and Marketing Leadership roles by identifying, exploring and defining technology-enabled opportunities that deliver competitive advantage. Our approach combines our expertise in science, technology and business with data, opinion and insights drawn from experts around the world. Clients value the depth of our technical insight and the attention we pay to our partnership with them.
Oakland is seeking an experienced Principal Consultant to lead the new business operation of our Advisory division. With a focus on blue-chip clients within consumer and associated B2B markets, the goal is to win business with target accounts and then nurture the business relationship until ready to be assigned to a dedicated account team. The role has three areas of responsibility:
1. Instigate and initiate relationships with New Business Accounts
2. Manage the relationship with new accounts with the aim of increasing penetration and winning repeat business
3. Provide intellectual/consulting leadership on projects being undertaken for new business accounts
As a function leader you will have a opportunities to contribute to the wider development of the company and staff, both within Oakland Innovation and in the wider Science Group.
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients, both in Europe and North America. You should expect to make around 6 US trips a year in addition to routine short trips to Europe. The Oakland Innovation division is based on two sites in Cambridge and Epsom. There is the possibility of being based in either office with regular travel to other Group sites (12 in total).
New Business Accounts
• Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
• Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Science Group Marketing team
• Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won they will then nurture these new account to secure and grow future business streams.
• The role will also demand that you participate in the solving of our client’s toughest innovation challenges. You will provide through leadership, program direction and delivery for these projects.
• The role will have a 30% billable hours target.
Experience & Qualifications
We prefer candidates to have either an MSc or PhD in a technical or science discipline. You should be able to demonstrate a strong commercial mindset and be able to evidence your capacity to sell and drive growth in your sphere of business experience. The ideal candidate will have
• Exciting business and/or technology consulting experience
• Experinece in consumer markets
• A track record of leading and closing sales to deliver significant consulting revenue streams
• An analytic mindset
• Strong written and presentation skills
• Confidence to convey data-supported opinion
• A strong personal, organisational, and work ethic;
• Skills to both hunt for new business opportunities and deepen relationships with existing clients;
• Have a confident, tenacious, robust personality, be able to build relationships internally and be a team player.
We are committed to career development and make a focussed effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow senior individuals to thrive. Science Group offers a broad, fast changing and high calibre setting to realise personal growth. We seek out and invest behind our talented seniors.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.