Who we are
Oakland Innovation, a division of Science Group plc, work with some of the best-known global corporations, with a particular strength in medical, food and beverage and consumer product markets. We help R&D and business development teams to identify, define and deliver opportunities that offer competitive advantage within their business. Our approach involves combining our internal expertise in science and technology with leveraging of insights drawn from experts around the world.
Oakland Innovation helps clients to find opportunities to win competitive advantage by utilising science and technology for product, process and business innovation. It does this by combining the in-house knowledge of its team of scientists and technologists, with expertise and opinion drawn from key opinion leaders, practitioners and commentators from around the world.
Oakland is seeking a US based energetic and ambitious senior business leader to work across a portfolio of clients. The role has three areas of responsibility:
- Manage and grow our business with a portfolio of Strategic Accounts (40%)
- Instigate and initiate relationships with new business accounts (40%)
- Provide consulting inputs into selected higher-value projects (20%)
This role will focus on client targets for Oakland Innovation and will suit an individual who is energised by client facing activities with an appetite to drive our growth by winning new business and leading successful consulting project teams.
Over time you will be encouraged to also explore joint opportunities with other parts of the Science Group (e.g. Sagentia’s product development services) and there may also be opportunities to launch and grow new business areas. Your mind-set will be that of a ‘seller/operator’- hungry to leverage and extend our existing customer relationships in order to build a robust, sustainable and growing client portfolio. You will therefore be commercially astute and able to operate with confidence when dealing with executives in Business Development functions
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients; it is expected that you will be travelling 25 – 50% of your time (US). Please note that the Oakland Innovation business is in Boston and we expect that when not travelling the role is office based.
- Lead responsibility for maintaining and growing the business relationship with selected Strategic Accounts; this will encompass both telephone and field work with routine visits to clients in order sustain key relationships and to increase customer penetration
- Focus on new business creation activities, introducing the company’s services, presenting portfolio reviews, leveraging existing and new contacts to identify new project opportunities, discussing and responding to new project briefs.
- Listen to the needs of the customer and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with other Oakland Consultants). Though not directly involved in all projects contracted by these clients, the individual in the role will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and as and when appropriate participate in key interim and final delivery meetings and post-project reviews.
- Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
- Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Science Group Marketing team
- Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won they will then nurture these new account to secure and grow future business streams.
- Assist in strengthening the relationship with strategic and new business accounts the role will have a 20% utilisation target. This will focus on higher-value more strategic types of project-work.
Experience & qualifications
- We prefer candidates to have either an MSc or PhD in a technical or science discipline, but not essential.
- Must have substantive business and/or technology consulting experience
- Must possess relevant industry/technology background, e.g., have worked in a technical and/or business development capacity for a consultancy and/or blue chip company in either medical or consumer, or food industry sectors
- Considerable experience in a business development role in a technology and/or business consulting environment;
- A proven track record of leading and closing sales to deliver significant consulting revenue streams together;
- Possess a strong personal, organizational, and work ethic;
- Possess the skills to both hunt for new business opportunities and foster relationships with existing clients;
- A confident, tenacious, robust individual who is able to build relationships internally and is a team player.
We are committed to career development and make a focussed effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.